Thursday, February 05, 2009

Art


Art

That? Yes, actually. "What is Art?" I don't believe there's a definition that can sum it up in one sentence. Rather, we have bits and pieces. Is a beautiful sunset art? Is craftsmanship art? Art is Italian for skill. Art is whatever an artist says it is. Which begs the question. Please, question, pretty please!

The tale is as old as the Eden Tree, and new as the new-cut tooth
For each man knows ere his lip-thatch grows, he is master of Art and Truth;
And each man hears as the twilight nears, to the beat of his dying heart,
The Devil drum on the darkened pane: "You did it, but was it Art ?"

- excerpt from The Conundrum of the Workshops, by Rudyard Kipling, 1890

I wont give away his punchline, but I'm sure you can use Google to find the poem and read it for yourself. If I didn't know better, I'd say Rudyard was being very sly. What do you think the title of the poem refers to?